The Letter Library houses all of your Form letter responses. Once a letter is no longer relevant as a response, you may choose to either make it “Obsolete” or archive it. Making a letter “Obsolete” allows you to maintain the letter in your Letter Library for possible use in the future; however, once a letter is “Obsolete,” you can no longer search for and assign it as a response to a constituent. If you choose to archive a letter, you are removing the letter from the Letter Library and storing it in a separate utility so that it is not searchable from the Letter Library and may not be assigned to a constituent. Archived letters are still saved in the database and may be restored at any time.
Before you decide to archive a letter or make it obsolete, you should decide if you can re-use the language of the letter again in a new letter. If you can update the letter, you do not have to re-create a new template from scratch, which means you do not have to re-assign a header, signature, usage, Interest Codes, Fill-In Fields, etc. Using the “Copy Letter” feature, all you have to do is give the letter a new name.
To use the "copy letter" utility:
- Go to Utilities > Letter Library.
- In the Letter Search Screen, search for the letter you wish to update.
- Double-click on the letter you wish to update.
- In the Letter Detail window, hover over the “Options” button, and click “Copy Letter.”
- Give the letter a new name/code (i.e., “111HR3456_UP”, where “UP” stands for “UPDATED”), and click “Ok.”
Now you have two letters with two different names, you can make any changes to your second letter while maintaining the original. Be sure to finalize your updated letter when it’s finished.