Publicity can be a double-edged sword. Sure, it’s great to get the name of your boss or office out there. But if you are online, you need to make sure to protect and manage your organization’s reputation at the same time. Here are a few tips:
1. Google it. Set up Google search alerts so you know who is talking about you — and when.
2. Create a Facebook username. A username helps you promote your organization with a web address that has your name in it. Click on Edit Page, and then Update Info.
3. Respond to your critics. It’s tempting to let ignore your critics. But it’s not the most effective path. Instead, address their concerns on social media, and follow up with them personally, if possible.
4. Think About SEO. Search Engine Optimization can boost your organization’s visibility on Google searches. Let keywords help you rise to the top.
5. Monitor Your Wikipedia Page. Since other people can edit Wikipedia, take the time to monitor and respond.